the farmer's market



Eight years after its publication, I'm finally reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", and while the locally sourced, organic movement is certainly much more accepted and touted now, and I'm on board and even driving the train at times, 
I'm still staggered by the damage we (meaning man, farmer, consumer, company, government) have done to make food readily available in all seasons, regardless of whether they're in season, at low costs but at the expense of flavor and nutrients, and also at the expense of the health of the human consumer. 

I don't even pretend to know enough to educate anyone but myself on anything but awareness, but awareness is the first step. And the second step, for me, is action towards shopping local, in season farmer's markets. 

So in that spirit, I stopped at the Friday farmer's market today, located at Trail Dust Town, and walked away with mixed greens and purple asparagus, both picked yesterday, a fresh heirloom eggplant in a fabulous zebra stripe purple, red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and some jam made from last year's crop of farm peaches (some of these I've photographed above).

I cannot wait to steam and sauté and eat my way through this bounty, and taste the difference an heirloom varietal of eggplant makes in flavor and the difference that fresh picked asparagus makes. I have a feeling I'll never go back.  



Comments