Fire & Ice



I'd like to attempt an answer to the age-old question - "what do photographers do when they get bored" (mostly in the winter)? They play with fire. And studios if they have them. At least I do. What began as a simple conversation between my husband and I spiraled quickly when I mentioned this idea I've wanted to try - setting a flammable liquid on fire in a glass and photographing it. I don't think Aaron's ever moved so quickly on an idea. He had the materials gathered before I finished speaking.

As to the how - well, I've had some discussions of late with a friend who has recently become interested in photography. We chatted about the best liquid and best settings, but, in the end, I went with my gut rather than worrying about the technicalities. Pick a liquid, a sturdy glass, focus, turn out the lights, light the fire, and watch it burn. With our combined biology backgrounds and interest in all manner of fire, we selected rubbing alcohol as our liquid and a sturdy Jack Daniel's shot glass as our container. Kids, don't try this at home. Please. It burned for about three minutes, maybe more. And danced while it burned. In the mean time, clicking away, I was amazed at the various colors and shapes the flames took on. While this required minimal work and set up, and I got a pretty cool result in only one try, please note that this can be dangerous. Again, don't try this at home without understanding the risks!

But yes, it was pretty darn cool! And I couldn't have done it without the hubby, who graciously lit the flame. And then Aaron, on another whim, brought out the scale model cannon. And again, matches in hand, sparks went flying.

As for the ice, again props to the husband and the journey jewelry he and I have worked together to create over a year's time. One diamond for each generation on the journey - one from my grandmother, one from my mother and one for me, from my husband. And an heirloom was born. And photographed appropriately.

The ice in the whisky and the fancy schmancy cat are just extras. What can I say...? I in my kerchief and he in his cap have better things to do than settle in for a long winter's nap!





































Comments

Unknown said…
Terrific! Great idea with the fire! I have no cannon, though. I guess I'll have to rectify that.
Rich said…
Jackie, great fire shots! I can't wait to get bored again.
gina marie said…
Beautiful. Beautiful fire, beautiful ice!
Anonymous said…
LOVE LOVE LOVE the fire images. And that holiday card, girl you're awesome! And BIG kudos to Aaron for his enthusiam and contributions!! Love ya

Popular Posts