Inspiration in the Unexpected

This is a non photography related post. But, it's one where I'd love some feedback - let me hear your voices, followers. Even the anon ones.

Words are important to me. Spoken, of course - we all like to hear verbal affirmations. And for some, hearing it said means more than seeing it written.  But, no, not for me. For me, the written word...this is my delight. To see the poetry on paper. To be convinced or swept away or... oh my. The power of words strung together, the suggestion implied in the simple statement, the slogan that triggers the memories. Writing your truth has power. Yes, you can say it. But to put it on "paper" - that makes it valid. That confirms what you were only thinking. That can change the world. Or your perception of it. Just look at our constitution if you doubt. Or contracts. Or rules and laws. Or love letters. Because to put it down is to make it so. Or more so than before. It may be that you write of promises that will eventually be broken. But even though, even so, words are potent.

Why this? Why now? Because I have recently had the joy and pleasure of pursuing inspired exchanges with several people in my life, some of them most unexpected, but all the more special for that. And in so doing, I am reminded that for some, for many, maybe for me, you cannot tell someone how or what you feel, but you can write it. Because somehow it's easier. More thought out. Certainly more convincing.

In finding these words, these connections and re-connections in my life, I am becoming inspired to write more, to say more than I have before, to put it down, even if just for me to read later. But more than that, I am amazed to say that in discovering anew my love for words, I am more inspired in other areas. It is a spark that leads to a fire that is the outpouring of creativity that can and will only enhance my photography.

So I have found inspiration in the unexpected. And I am amazed. Amazed at how words, just words, can start a chain of events that can make me into a better person. So I want to know, from you, what inspires you? What have you read, heard, seen lately, or ever, that has changed you, led you into a direction you might not otherwise have gone. Tell me, I want to know.


PS: this is a photo of the last journal I kept, with an end-date somewhere in 2006. I've attempted to journal several times in recent years but I think I either don't have enough to say (unlikely) or I'm so used to typing that writing gives me fits. Either way, I do know that technology, and finding my blog voice, has sort of interrupted the therapy of hard bound journals for me. So I plan to continue speaking my truth via blogging (yay) but also take the summer to read through the several tomes I have in hard copy, 1992 through 2006. I am sure I will discover again the embarrassing moments, the moments worth forgetting, and the moments that make me cringe. But I also hope to discover some inspiration. Even if it's only in seeing how far I've come. 

Comments

Laurie said…
Jacuquelynn, much awareness and discovery is found within the written word, it is the concrete languange of our soul and heart. We find great beauty in its depth and color and often times pain and darkness. Regarless it is ours to seek and then to choose whether its shared. One thing is for certain though, what we may inscribe today can never be taken away but only changed as time unfolds and moves forward. May you have great inspiration in your thoughts, dreams, writing and photography and with the moments you spend alone or with others. May the beauty and reward you find within your journey bring you peace and love to carry you into a future full of promise. Love, Laurie Shear-Dayton, Ohio

Popular Posts