Heidelburg, Germany!

My first excursion into Deustchland was definitely one for the memory books. It was only a short trip comparative to the size of the country, but still I felt like my friend and I covered much ground. Our first stop on the Romantic Road was Heidelburg, complete with a real medieval castle, partly in ruins and partly rebuilt (as they all seem to be) and a wicked steep climb to the top, but totally worth it for the view, both inside and out. I had one of the best meals ever at the hotel restaurant - authentically German of course - and again at lunch. Sausage and Sauerkraut and Schnitzel, oh my! And did I mention the BEER. Delicious varieties and sizes. All told, an excellent start to only three days on the road. Have a look!



early morning silhouettes. I was up with the sun to see the sites.






in and around the city squares.




fall was falling.




 up to the castle we go!







 one of three largest wine barrels ever. Apparently only filled 18 times since the middle ages. But larger than two grown men standing one on top of the other and longer than perhaps four of those same men.

 Canci resting after the climb!

 lots of weddings!

breakfast, lunch and dinner. and beer. and German Eis Wein (Ice Wine) and a German Riesling. Yum!

the city, by night.

Comments

Rich said…
Jackie,

That's so cool. It's always wonderful to see places though your lens. There is a chance I will be in Heidelburg for work next June if I attend the same meeting I did this year.

Popular Posts