Old Amsterdam

 

This was my second time in Amsterdam, having visited once before on my first trip to Holland almost 10 years ago. I am not sure much had changed, though much about me has. It was interesting to see the city with 10 years of life lived to color my impressions. I went again to the Van Gogh museum and found myself rushing through, not really appreciating the art the way I did the first time. I walked the city streets, still somewhat aimlessly wandering, lost at times, but with a better sense of direction and leaning much less towards intimidation when wrong turns and completely unfamiliar street names cropped up. As they always do. I attempted the language more, but, today, English is practically an official tongue in the Netherlands and so it wasn't really necessary. Though still polite to try!
But, really, I recall a moment, 10 years ago, sitting on a park bench in this same city, feeling utterly alone and small in the world. I was lost, hungry, felt isolated by the language and cultural differences, stymied by the map, and constantly had to shake the urge to look over my shoulder and guard my bag lest some random stranger, having stalked me to said park bench, was waiting to leap out of the bushes and run away with my camera. My film camera. Indeed, much has changed. Perhaps the world is getting smaller? Perhaps my adventurousness and frequent travels have made me more savvy and less bothered by chance and change? And perhaps things just are...different...the second time around, with some things worth repeating, and some better left undone (because sometimes the first time really is the best), and some simply seen more clearly when seen again.Whatever the reason, Amsterdam was both old and new again, for me. And while I certainly have changed, for the better, and grown, in the best of directions, travel is still a way for me to feel the wild thrill of adventure coursing through my veins. Whether it's in the first impressions or in the repeat performances.

in a study of the impressionists. perhaps Van Gogh's influences have become mine?















my new favorite bier. sweet. awesome. crisp. more like cider but more hoppy. yum!
















Comments

Popular Posts