City by the Sea

They said I'd miss the trees. They said I'd hate the heat... "it's a different hot - dry heat! like putting your head in the oven!"

They said.

They said a lot of things, but in the end I knew I'd love it all. Because I try not to pay much attention to what "they said" - why bother? Life is what you make it - joy is where you find it - the grass is green where you water it (when you have grass, anyway.) And I have, so far, stuck to that philosophy.

But every now and then I do give in to that one thing I miss. It's usually the one thing no one mentions, but the thing I know will pull at me.

So there it is.

I miss the sea.

The sound and scents of high tide, the balmy breezes and gently swaying palms, the feel of needing an extra layer, even in the summer.
The water culture - because there is one - of flip flops and sandy days and drinks by a full moon with the taste of salt in the air.

Let's be honest - I didn't live on the beach. But, knowing I would be deprived of it for the next few years, the last 6 months in Georgia I did seek water frequently - Jacksonville, Beaufort... but even when I wasn't jaunting, I knew it was there. And on the balmiest of days I could smell it.
I swear I could.

So, I went. And no, it's not nearby - not by a long shot - but it's near enough to be worth it.

Because every junkie needs her fix : )

So, Hello San Diego.
Hello water views and terrace dining and glimpses of bright blue darting between buildings and gulls wheeling overhead.
Hello jackets and cool gusts of ocean wind.
Hello kitschy touristy things and really overpriced but really wonderful seafood.

Hello.


















Comments

Popular Posts