The Hummingbird Effect

If you've spent any time in the urban desert, you'll maybe have noticed the proliferation of hummingbirds buzzing 'round your head like so many bees. Here, in the Southwest, these birds have no fear. Put out a feeder and they will come. And fight. And drink of your fine nectar.
Again and again and again.

This morning, with warm patches of sunshine filtering through Monsoon clouds, I was re-potting a house plant when I just about had my head taken off by a dive bombing fearless flyer. He (and I am pretty sure he was a he because he was pretty. Ah, nature) literally had no problem landing 10 feet from where I was puttering. So, I did what any good photographer would do. I put down my dirt and went inside, got my camera, and set up shop in the same spot, under the sparse cover of my potted plant.

There I sat for all of 3 minutes before the same bird came back. He was a bit shy at first, when he saw me move, but with the stillness and stealth of a tigress stalking her prey, I waited, breathed, and he relaxed. I took maybe seven shots with my 70-200. Aannnnd done.

I've cropped them closer, but thanks to that beautiful sun and a lovely neutral desert brown backdrop, I have to say these are a fine reward for 10 minutes total of my time. : )







Comments

Unknown said…
You are so talented!!
Unknown said…
You are so talented!!
Lisa Daleiden said…
Oh my goodness! These are incredible!

Popular Posts