moo

Life on the NC Farm
I’m not sure what attracts me to the idea of farm life. Perhaps it’s the simplicity. Everything has a purpose, every chore is for the good of something existing on the farm, and the end product is always useable. I wish life were more like that. Instead we complicate everything (or maybe it’s just me?) and we do things for the betterment of ourselves but often without regard to how it affects others. And in the end our products are just more junk cluttering up he closets. But don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to actually work on a farm. While seemingly simple I am sure that my daily hour on the elliptical would pale in comparison to hauling hay, using large machinery and milking cows. My thumb, which I’d like to think is some combination of green and black (just ask my husband about the Bonsai plants that didn’t survive under my care), is better suited to backyard piddling than full fledged vegetable raising. And I am absolutely sure that if I had to kill the animal before I ate it I would become a vegetarian. So I think I will admire farms from afar, enjoy the serenity, bask in the simplicity and capture it all with my camera but still buy my meat and produce at the market.








Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I am camera happy and love snapping shots of certain things... old barns is one of them.

Living in Kentucky, it's common to drive down a thin, winding, country road and see an old barn standing at a slant... leaning, struggling to hold itself up under the weight of time. My mind's eye always time travels, wondering what the barn was like when it was new, who built it, the families that were raised there... and then the focus returns to the present and I wonder who let it go... Each old barn tells a story to me and I love capturing them with a picture.

I watched one old barn over the course of a few months... and eventually, it toppled to the ground, nothing more than a pile of rubbish for the next bonfire... I actually cried for the barn. (I'm a dork, I know *smirk*).

I also love snapping shots of ponds, and, like barns, Kentucky has plenty of them. One of my favorite amateur photos was on fourth of July of this year. We were driving out to Nolen Lake and passed this barn with a pond (a twofer!)... and smack dab in the middle of the pond was a cow, half submerged in the cool water, half soaking up the summer sun and I thought to myself, "What a perfectly fantastic way to spend a wednesday!"

Loving your blog,

*Sparky*

I watched one barn

Popular Posts