Slow down and stay awhile

While living in the South I learned something important about photography that has relevance and application to real life: I learned to slow down and stay awhile. Taking things more slowly, a decidedly Southern sentiment (and for some, the butt of many jokes about the South) is no joke, and I am once again introduced to it as a way to live. This does not seem like rocket science, but it is damn hard to do. It is not the way I operate. I am the kind of person that approaches something full force - I want to tackle it, achieve it, check it off my list and move on. I guess you would say I am a closer. I used to see something I wanted to photograph and I’d jump right in – snap snap snap. And then I’d walk away. This approach has great merit in many of the things that I do. But perhaps it is not always the most effective.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some things in life that we must move quickly on but there are others that bear taking more time. I find that when I spend time with a subject that I am photographing, see it from different angles, walk around, get closer, get farther away, and maybe stay with it a lot longer than is comfortable, I end up with something amazing. Similarly if I am able to go back to a place where I’ve been before I find that I get something unique every time. Just a small change in the sky, the light, the weather can make the biggest difference.

And so when I noticed last evening that the sky was phenomenal about an hour before sunset – lots of puffy clouds that make for amazing photographs – I decided to go back to the farm where I’d been the day before. In the past I might have looked for a new spot having felt that I had “been there, done that.” But in keeping with my life lesson relearned, I decided to go back and spend some more time in a place I’d already finished with. I stayed longer than I really wanted to, twiddled my thumbs a bit, walked around for different angles, got some of the same angles as before and stayed until the sun no longer was visible in the sky. I think the result was worth it.

When I first noticed the sky.
























































Comments

Julie and Greg said…
loving the blog so far and of course all the photos! have a great 7 week journey.
Anonymous said…
I'm only one post in so far, but loving the style of writing, the perspective on life, and, of course, the photos.

I grew up in Las Vegas, Nevada - a very fast-paced environment. Everything was about speed... hurry up and get there, go go go! Then, three years ago, I made a drastic move and landed in Kentucky. Talk about a culture shock! But the lifestyle is so much slower, and the pace allows one to enjoy things that would typically be overlooked.

I love the way you tied in your lessons with photography into life lessons... nice connection.

Beautiful photos...

*Sparky*
Pat Elsass said…
Oh God how I love Black and White photograpy. Great start Jackie. Good luck with your journey.
Pat Elsass said…
Sorry about the spelling error. Slow down, right. Let's try "photography".
These are really lovely. I adore how you have captured the light. I came here from Sara's suggestion. Great blog!
Anonymous said…
I love the second photo listed after this entry -- with the gate, the tree overhead and the turn in the road.

Marianne
Nick said…
Jackie,

loved the photographs, especially of the horses, I'm an equine vet, so you can understand my love of them...

When things happen, bad things, we all want to lash out and relieve our anger...

It's only natural...

Me? I lose myself in my music...sit up and bang at the piano all night, or play the violin until the strings pop...

Everybody handles it differently, do whatever works for you, and you'll be fine...

Just don't ever feel as if you're alone, lots of us out here feel the exact same way...

There's always something coming around the corner that may brighten up your day...so keep looking...

Take care,

Nick
Anonymous said…
I lost the link when I lost my original blog, but was very fortunate to find my way back...

No new posts for a month? Does that mean the journey's over?

Nonetheless, I've added your link to my blog... Past or present, it's well worth the read!

*Sparky*

Popular Posts