Cable Cars and Crossing Bridges

While in San Francisco, I, of course, took photos of the very famous Cable Cars and the less famous but still much-utilized Oakland Bay Bridge. And, yes, of the Golden Gate Bridge as well - at least of what was visible in the May gray/June gloom thing.What was so amazing to me re the Golden Gate, though, was that the fog really seemed to be isolated just around this spot. It didn't affect the Bay Bridge, it didn't really even make it into the city while I was there. It just hovered, densely obscuring the view, over the brilliant red/orange of one of the most familiar California icons. I wasn't terribly disappointed, but only because I've see the Golden Gate in all its glory, clear and crisp as the fall morning when Aaron and I first traveled to San Francisco (almost 10 years ago). And having seen it both fogged in and clear, I believe I might prefer the fog. It's a mystery waiting to emerge. It's visible and then it's not. It's there and then it's gone. I kind of like the life metaphor that brings up for me. Of course, it might also have to do with the fact that I had the absolute privilege of seeing the Golden Gate from the perspective of the captain of a sail boat, dodging the waves and cutting through the mist, watching the bridge fade off into nothingness from high and directly above me. I definitely believe that is the coolest perspective I've ever had. Thanks, Bill, for the amazing opportunity and stellar view. Definitely something I'll never forget.


Comments

Ailish said…
I've always wanted to visit San Francisco.. It looks so beautiful.

Popular Posts