A Wrinkle in Time: San Francisco's China Town

Because I've lately focused on portrait and wedding photography, I find myself seeing the beauty of people sometimes more than places. The wrinkles of time that run deep on the faces of those who've walked the earth much longer than me. The smile and laugh lines that tell tales better than words ever could. Of course, what my camera is drawn to depends on where I am, who I'm with (if anyone) and whether I'm awed by what's around me or motivated to look deeper. But generally I'm inspired by people, suffused with energy from losing myself in crowds, invited into their stories and histories through conversation and interaction. But after the solemnity of nature found in the coastal drive, being in the crowded cities was all a bit exhausting, even for me. Enter China Town, San Francisco. If ever there is a place to be overwhelmed by people - this was it. Milling about, roaming, bumping into one another, pushing and shoving, shopping, site seeing, but mostly just living life. I was immersed in a buzzing hive of daily activity that went on irrespective of the tourist world that existed not far from the streets I wandered.  So after hiking the steep hills in search of Lombard street I was sweaty, hot, irritated and lost (because no, I really cannot read a map at all, apparently). So I waded through China Town and pulled up a quiet curb for a minute to just gather my thoughts. And then I turned around. And there she was. I hesitated. I was so close to her. How could I surreptitiously take a photo? Normally there's a certain stealth to photographing people unawares, and while I am generally not the cloak and dagger sort I am thoroughly delighted with the anonymity of the 70-300mm lens. But this time, there was no hiding. So I asked her if I could. I am pretty sure she didn't understand me. And though she didn't smile. She also didn't say no. And she didn't turn away. And that was assent enough for me. Enjoy the people of China Town.



Comments

Rianna said…
these photos are beautiful, very inspiring
Rianna xxxxxxxxx

Popular Posts