Adding the ing

Do you know what's worse than a deflated balloon? A deflating balloon. More tortuous than a run? Running. Sweeter than love? Falling in love. Better than a well-traveled person? Traveling.

There's something about adding the "ing" to the end of most words that intensifies the feeling attached. I mean, yes a deflated balloon is sad, but it has potential. Maybe the balloon can still be inflated? But a deflatING balloon is on its way to being over, potential slowly seeping out as wrinkles appear in the once solid shape and form.

Or take running. A popular form of exercise the world over. If I've gone for a run I am proud (and thrilled that it's over). But goING for a run, or, the act of runnING, well, let's just say I prefer the past tense :)


Consider the "ing" from a positive place. Like love. Oh, love. To be in love is grand. To have loved is fortunate. But the act of fallING in love is poetic. Chemical. The act of lovING is heady.

And then there's my own personal favorite - travel. To be well-traveled is a boon. To have traveled creates a story. But to be planING travel is delicious. To be travelING is superb. My Mecca.

What is it about the "ing"? I suppose adding those three tail letters implies action rather than finished or forthcoming moments. And for the most part (save running) I'd rather be in the act of something than looking forward or looking back. The world looks better to me from a blur of motion. To do, to be, to act, rather than to stay still. This is my preference. And now that I've completed another fabulous trip, and am anticipating a few more, I can only confirm that I'd rather be Falling. Loving. Planning. Traveling. I'd rather be an "ing".

Wouldn't you?


What's your "ing"?)

PS - up next: New Orleans! Dazzling!

Comments

Tiffany B. said…
Fabulous! You are an excellent wordsmith, my friend.
Unknown said…
The "ING" places the act into the present. It is not the memory of that which has occurred or the hope of what is to come. It is now and now is alive. Living is exciting.

Popular Posts