Beneath the Smoke



This image was a case of being in the right place at the right time with the right equipment. I happened to be in Santa Barbara during the Jesusita fires just a few weeks ago - when they were evacuating the city I was with Jean and Bob, my very adventurous hosts, touring about, inhaling smoke and ash, and generally having the best time. The smoke was rolling down the mountain, along with people escaping from their homes with whatever they could carry in their vehicles. It was a very impactful moment for me and my first taste of true photo journalism. I am very glad I was there, I got some amazing images, and this image just won an award of merit in the 2009 "the View" Juried Landscape Competition at Rosewood Gallery in Kettering, OH. So every now and then I just manage to capture a moment worth savoring, worth remembering, and worth something a little more than usual.

Comments

Rich said…
Congratulations. Great image.
Matthew Rubush said…
That is incredible. I just browsed through your California photos. Reminds of the times I have been there. Very nice. All is well in Rome!

Chrysostom

Popular Posts