The Color of the Coast

Cape Lookout & Beaufort North Carolina

Though I lived in NC for 3 years and went often to the coast seeking solace and rest, I never did find my way to Cape Lookout. So Saturday, in the passenger seat of a sporty convertible, my friend Sophie and I took a drive. And though the weather was cloudy, the photography was inspirational.



I love the coast - everything about it. The balmy air, the call of the gulls, the crash of the surf, even the salt spray in my eyes. My camera never rests when I make it to the water's edge. And funny enough, though I have thousands of coastal images, they aren't my biggest sellers (definitely not in Ohio, where I find few people who really appreciate the call of the coast, it being a mostly land locked state (not counting the Great Lakes).



So even though my coastal images are not money makers, I keep on taking them. And this is a great lesson for me. It's not about the money, the notoriety, or the fame (if you can call it that). It's about the passion. And as long as I am inspired to take photographs of the things that I love, as long as I can call it "play" and not "work", I'll keep on snapping. And sharing with you.






from the dock before getting in the "ferry" (read "dingy") to the island




The man with the pelican (it had a broken wing and he had rescued it from the water)



Sophie in the seagrass



the lighthouse



beach flowers



toward the water



Sepia tones make this look like an old photo



More beach flowers


toward the ocean side

driftwood

more fun with sepia. I purposely overexposed this and then added the sepia tone later.

redolent of waves


seagrass wins
winding road

in black and white

the original

fun with graphic design (old world postcards from the edge)


nothing by sky (really, no photoshop techniques here)
love the wide angle

the sun pokes through as we leave

love this one - talk about flock of birds (pelicans)

washed ashore


all tied up

glassy surfaces

all work and no play

silhouettes

patterns


sunset at Fort Macon

Comments

Rich said…
This Ohioan appreciates the coast and the way you describe it makes me want to go. It has been since TS Ernesto since I have been to the ocean. You know, I enjoyed being there even in the midst of the wind and the rain.

Popular Posts