The Color of Connections

One of the benefits to being married to the military (as they say) is that my path crosses and intersects with people I would never otherwise have met. Journeying beyond the boundaries of home town, comfort level and consistent surroundings we have lived in places we'd only read about (though not so far away, as the world is wide and varied), and I personally have experienced things I know I would not otherwise have done.

Every place we go I am awed by the connections that are made, not just between last station and latest station, but between our life now and our life five years ago - and how despite the distance and, it would seem, overwhelming odds against it, my path continues to intersect in many ways with the past.

Case in point - the Ivans. John, Dorie, George, Joseph and Abraham. I met the Ivans in Dayton, Ohio at the Byzantine Catholic Church I began attending shortly after we moved. I was raised Byzantine and had attended a Byzantine Church while living in Goldsboro (driving to Cary, NC to do so) and then found another church in Dayton that continued to allow me to practice the religion I was born into. About a year after we moved to Dayton, the Ivans, ironically moved outside Cary NC and began attending the church I had recently left. So the connections - one family swapped for another and a religion, from my childhood past, that bridges the gap.

The Ivans are a wonderful family - composed of a Byzantine married to a Baptist (just like Aaron and I) and three awesome, intelligent, entertaining, delightful boys (who I believe are 11, 9 and 6...though I will certainly hear from them if I am wrong!). Though we had a brief time together in Dayton, I enjoyed their company and perspective on all things religious and otherwise! And, yes, I made a point to visit them in my travels down south, attending church with them this past Sunday and spending several hours with them after.

I have to say, I feel like a Rock Star with the boys - greeting me enthusiastically with hugs and getting so excited about my visit - I smile just thinking about it. And I say they are entertaining because I spent much of my visit listening to each of them, musical beyond any their age should be!, playing piano, violin, trumpet and Nintendo Wii. : ) My personal favorite, the two oldest boys playing a "Rockin Robin" duet on the piano with such vigor I thought the keys would surely begin to smoke!

In the end, it was an awesome visit and it made me realize how special these connections are, and how important. And how, despite the many trials of being military, how lucky I am to have friends from each place we've lived who I feel will continue to affect me for many years to come.

So, meet the Ivans!



ahh, brothers!


aren't they cute?


Sox


aren't they cute, too?


Mom and George play a duet for me


George

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are truly blessed to be a friend of the Ivans. :)

Popular Posts