Real Women

Several years ago I knew that I wanted to take photographs of women celebrating their bodies. I knew that I wanted to help women change how they saw themselves, using my photography as a vehicle for this new awareness. I knew that I wanted women to see that even just parts of their body could be beautiful, sensual & sexy. Simple, yes? NO! I should know, because I am a woman, and that thing I most struggle with is body image / self esteem. OK - so that's two things. But if I struggled, I knew there were others that did as well. And so to get women to step forward, to trust me enough to help them see that they are beautiful, just as they are, was a challenge - but a challenge I was up to facing. And I am facing it with my Real Women project.


I just had the opportunity to show solo for two weeks at the Dayton Visual Arts Center (DVAC) in downtown Dayton with images I took of one of my Real Women, Jillynne. Jillynne has a story to tell - a story about overcoming hurdles that had her believing, thinking, agreeing that she was not worthy. At the end of her healing process, she chose me to photograph her and her success. Her images have been on display for two weeks, as has her story.


What this display also allowed me to do was to think outside the box about how to reach women - girls, teens, sisters, mothers, daughters - and empower them. So with the help of friends, a program was born - and the result? Thirteen Real "Dayton" Women stepped forward on two program nights at DVAC. During these nights I had a chance to set up a studio, with lights and black background, and tables covered with empowering words cut out from magazines, glue sticks, stamps, markers and scissors. Each woman that walked in the door was photographed (yes, full clothed!) and then given the tools to collage around their photograph. In two nights I possibly touched the lives of 13 women, of all ages, some who I knew, some who I didn't, and left with them a lasting message about body image and self esteem.


What this project has also allowed me to do is perhaps, finally, to bring my two loves together - to allow me to use my MPH with my passion for photography, to allow me to help people and enjoy the process all at the same time! Imagine the things I could do....


For more information about the purpose behind this program, for images of my Real Women studio sessions and for a complete look at the project visit www.jacquelynnbuck.com/realwomen.html




Now, a look at Dayton's "Real Women"

Mother and Daughter



Mother & Daughter



My "artist" friends




My friends, new and old!






Comments

Rosie Huart said…
I loved 'playing' that evening at DVAC. You are on to something, Miss Jackie. Keep going with your thoughts and ideas. I believe it is a powerful message for women and young girls.

Hugs, Rosie
gina marie said…
I think that is fantastic! I hope you get a lot of takers.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! This is great work. See you soon!
Anonymous said…
Jackie....insightful...beautiful...and necessary.

Keep up the good work! =)

Popular Posts