the color of the water

One of the coolest things about being in the Carolinas again is being so close to water. Water is everywhere. Now, I know Ohio has water, in the Great Lakes and rivers, but there is something about Carolina water. Maybe it's the Mosquitoes? No, really. What it is is a certain sense of light, reflection on the water, small southern town quaintness and something I just cannot name. And two of my favorite picturesque places to find water are Georgetown, SC and Lake Waccamaw, NC.

They each have very different stories - one was a coastal shipping town, grown up around cotton, rice and indigo and is the third oldest city in South Carolina. The other is a quiet resort destination with very little of the hustle and bustle and an awful lot of the silence, barring the crickets. But both have photographic moments worth capturing. I've been to each before, and every time I see something new. And I suppose that is the lesson - you can never be "done" visiting a place. Instead, you can only grow and change with it. perhaps what you see each time has nothing to do with what is there, but with what you are open to. Learning and growing and changing open our eyes to new things every day. So don't ever be afraid to go back to the same place twice. You just never know what you might find!

Georgetown














































Lake Waccamaw







Comments

Rich said…
The coast does something to the sunsets. Most people think only of orange, but I remember being in a shop in Florida during my honeymoon that sold nothing but photographs. They had photographed sunsets at the same location and had one of nearly every color imaginable. I was amazed.
gina marie said…
beautiful jackie! i love the shot of the small boat (i don't know the correct name for them) tied out in the water...it is so peaceful and serene. I want to go there.

Popular Posts