Role Model?

Though it might not be immediately obvious from the photos, this blog is reflective of a day I set aside last week to volunteer for a local high school art class photography field trip to Yellow Springs (a small town about 30 minutes from Dayton). There were about 40 kids and 6 volunteer photographers or professionals who went along on the trip in addition to the art teacher. It was a really enlightening experience for me, putting myself in the role of teacher/photographer, focusing on sharing and explaining rather than just doing. I tried really hard not to use the camera except in demonstration. I consciously spent my time pointing out the things I would photograph and how, but not doing so myself (even though I wanted to). And after the first half hour, it actually became easier to just teach rather than do.

The girls assigned to my group needed very little instruction so that made it easier still. We just walked in the woods, walked in the town, and they ran around like crazy people (like I usually do myself) crawling on the ground, getting pictures of things from odd angles. It was tons of fun. The latter half of the day was more relaxed and I did break out my camera at Young's Dairy for an irresistible cow photo op. But other than that, it was really just about teaching, and learning, for them and for me. Definitely something I would do again. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did!



Glen Helen Nature Preserve
a demo shot on perspective























posing for fun















In Yellow Springs



























more fun posing -these were the girls in my group

















at Young's Dairy




Cow Photo Opp















Comments

jafabrit said…
Great set of photos, I particularly like the brick wall with the metal star (dayton street).

You got a nice pic of the gulch gal (knit graffiti by the jafagirls).

Popular Posts